Tuesday, May 15, 2012
The sewing team hit a snafu when we couldn't get my sewing machine at the right tension to sew silk fabric with silk thread. The fabric puckered up, or the bobbin was too loose. In the end, A.S. took the three main pieces of the dress home to sew on her own machine, and I was in charge of the neck facing and sleeves.
It came together really well. I machine-stitched the hem at first because I thought that would look fine, but I wasn't a fan on seeing the stitches, so I took it out. I ended up hand stitching a blind hem, which now looks great. I have to redo the neck facing/lining.
I'm in the process of figuring out how to reinforce that neckline without making the lining underneath show through. I may have to just take that whole thing out. And then my sewing machine is still giving me some problems like before, so I'm not quite sure what to do about that.
I'm looking forward to hunting around for shoes and a belt this week with Elns, even if the dress isn't quite done. We've got a lot of ground to cover in a short amount of time, but by golly, we can do it!