Pages

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Gone

My great-Auntie Flo (yes, that's her name) passed away early Monday morning. She was a super awesome lady, vibrant, funny, positive, loving, and cared immensely for her family. When Uncle Harry (her husband) was sick, she put all her energy into making him better and somewhere along the way she burnt herself out. Uncle Harry is much better, but it was sad that Auntie Flo is here no longer. I was alarmed to hear that her health deteriorated so fast. And to be honest, I feel guilty that I didn't visit her when Yoshi's preschool class went to the retirement home where they lived right before Halloween, though I guess she wasn't up for visitors. Uncle Harry told me then that the outlook didn't look good for Flo; I didn't want to believe him and I thought he was exaggerating or going senile. But it was true.

Yoshi told me that since I'm sad she and Tom are going to be nice to me for two days. She also said, "Oh Mommy, I'm sorry you're sad that your auntie died. Her body stopped working? Daddy's Daddy died too. But your mommy is alive... so be happy," and she gave me a sweet hug and a smooch. Children sometimes say the simplest, truest things, the heart of Buddhism right there.

The memorial service will be Monday. I'm not ready to say goodbye though.

1 comment:

  1. Great aunts are special -- I hope the memorial service helped and if not, knitting, reflection, and observation do.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!