Pages

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Growing up

As I watched Yoshi play with her best friends in her kindergarten class, I wondered how long she'll stay innocent where she only has to worry about whether dessert will be served that night. Where her biggest source of anxiety will be starting a new grade at a school that is already very familiar among kids that she loves playing with.

But then I realize that she lives in SF. She asks about homelessness, AIDS, what it means to be gay, and why people kill others in war or for no good reason at all. She already knows we all will die one day. In some ways, despite her shy and sometimes delicate outward appearance, she's a tough little cookie. But she always remains compassionate (for the most part).

Today is the last day of Kindergarten for Yoshi. In a couple minutes I'll walk over to her school to pick her up--a special treat since she usually goes to after school care and doesn't get picked up until close to 6pm. I'm feeling a little sentimental. She looked so little when she started kindergarten. But now she seems taller... and more mature. She acts like she's 5 going on 15.

But she's still my baby. Even when I'm 100 and she's 75.

1 comment:

  1. I've known you since you were Yoshi's age and used to where little white kimono's to Halloween costume parties at school. You grew up to be a pretty decent, well rounded kid, though now you seem taller... and more mature. These days you look \more like your mom did those days than the little girl in the white kimono, but you're still that same kid.

    I'm sure that 25 years from now Yoshi's going to grow up to be a pretty decent, well rounded kid too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!