Pages

Monday, March 13, 2006

Seattle

I've been thinking about a few of my friends that are incommunicado with me. The common thread is that they all live(d) in Seattle, Washington. I don't know what it is about this place. These friends of mine aren't really close friends with each other, so I don't think they collectively decided to boycott me. Now, it's important for me to say that one friend is actually now an Ex-Friend of his own volition, so I do not expect to hear from him (although he no longer lives in Seattle now). Another friend is actually a good friend of mine (she was even my maid-of-honor to be exact) and I have repeatedly called and left messages, email, and pretty much everything except filing a missing persons report to get in contact with her. Should I take it personal and be offended that she moved without giving me her updated contact info? The other friend is a former college classmate of Tom's that I really like. We have similar interests and both hope to be successful entrepreneurs in our craft (she was a pastry chef at the Olympic Fairmont last we spoke). When we talk, I feel like we really connect, but sadly we haven't spoken for a while. Both Tom and I have written and called her several times since November, but she has yet to respond.

I'd like to think that my friends are so busy with their lives that they forgot how much time has passed since we last spoke. The pessimist in me thinks they no longer want to be friends but are too polite to tell me so they ignore my attempts of contact.

The fact that my maid of honor doesn't stay in touch with me makes me question if I really should have had her as my Maid of Honor at my wedding. I hate to doubt my friendships, but it's entirely possible that I consider her a much closer friend than she does of me.

I've got a couple friends who may move to Seattle in the near future. At the risk of losing our friendship, please don't!

2 comments:

  1. So sorry D. I, too, would love to move to Seattle but I promise to always post silly comments on your blog!

    Fortunately, there are also those friends with whom you can have no contact for years but then get together and feel just as close as you used to...as if no time at all has passed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I lost touch with my best man and he lives in the same metropolitan area as I do, so it may not be Seattle's fault. If you want, I could contact these people, tell them you passed away, and see if they come to your "funeral". If they don't then you'll know they've moved on.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!