Pages

Friday, August 01, 2008

Untitled




I finished knitting these socks a little while ago. But I procrastinated photographing them because I didn't think the photo would turn out good. Yesterday I went to a funeral (more about that in a moment) and snagged this handy-dandy sign for the car to be used in the procession to the cemetery. It turned out to be a good photo prop. I have more uplifting sock photos on my flickr. That sock pattern wasn't fun by any means, but the results are beautiful and they fit like a glove, er, a sock. Unfortunately, I probably won't be knitting myself socks for some time because I simply lose interest after doing only one. And they never turn out exactly the same, like one is longer or tighter or missing a pattern repeat. I guess I could knit two at a time, but honestly, I just don't want to knit adult socks. Maybe for Yoshimi or other little ones.

So I went to a funeral yesterday. This wonderful woman we all knew as Nonny passed away at the lovely age of 97. She lived a long life and saw many generations grow. She was cherished by many. We'll miss her.

The funeral was long and Catholic. And since I can't take communion, I'll never know if that wine is really the blood of Christ or if those crackers taste like flesh. Do vegetarians take Communion? As foreign as Catholicism is to me, I'm sure Buddhism is likewise to many others.

Speaking of the dying, my dad has been suffering with pneumonia again. I admit that I was pretty worried for a while there, but it looks like his health is improving after his 2 week stay in the hospital (including surgery on his left lung). I only hope that he truly takes better care of himself. He seemed to realize his mortality in this stage of his life because I've witnessed several crying episodes where he sobs about how much he loves and misses Yoshi and how much he wants to play with her again. As terrible as it is to admit it, I'm surprised that my dad is still alive despite all his ailments. I don't think he ever was a healthy person, from infancy through adulthood. But he's kinda stubborn, and stubborn people tend to live a while.

It's really tough to see your parent break down. But it reminds me that they're human. And that they are scared too. I had told Yoshi about my dad's surgery and I probably gave her more details than she needed to know because she started crying. "Is Jichan going to hurt when the doctors cut him open?! It's going to hurt him!" I told her that he would be given medicine that will keep him asleep for a long time and then she was worried that he wouldn't wake up. Yoshi was greatly relieved when she found out that her Ji-chan was finally home from the hospital. "Yay! Now he can sleep in his bed and be cozy and watch tv... and I can give him a great big hug!" And she did.

2 comments:

  1. Hey!
    Thanks for sharing... I was very touched and your story reminds me a lot of my parents, especially my Dad! I know exactly what you mean by his stubborness and seeing him break down....except they live far away now and I don't get to see them that often now.. but it certainly doesn't mean that won't happen to them. =(

    Yoshi is so SWEET!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should frame that photo and hang it at some art exhibit or gallery.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!