Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Flu shots

Today Yoshi got her flu vaccines. This was the first time we took her to get a flu shot, and it wasn't that easy due to failed attempts, run-around by her doctor's office, and the craziness of The Swine Flu (dun dun dunnn!). I thought that only the seasonal flu shot was going to be offered, but was pleasantly surprised when the nurse said Yoshi could also get H1N1 vaccine as well. And I was even more pleasantly surprised when the FluMist was offered because that meant only one needle (the H1N1) for Yoshi. Whew!

Yoshi has a lot of anxiety about needles. Tom and I tried to calm her fears by telling her how little the flu shot hurt when we got it. Seriously, I hardly felt it. Yoshi gave me a pinch afterwards and I told her that the shot hurt less than her pinch (which was true). This reassured her somewhat, but she was still scared when we sat in the examining room.

And the poor girl. Tom and I saw the needle that Yoshi got, and boy, it was 3 times the girth of the needle that was used on us. And longer too. The needle went pretty deep into her little arm. Yoshi held it together until we got back to the car and then just bawled.

Tonight, she cried as she went to sleep, complaining of how much it hurt. "It's the baddest boo boo I've ever had! It really hurts!" I felt so bad for her. I let her sleep with my beloved Bandit Snoopy that always sleeps in my bed to make her feel a little better. She fell asleep a few minutes later. The magic of Snoopy! And of acetaminophen.

I don't yet have the heart to tell her that she'll need to go back in a month for a booster shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!