Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Tag, you're it!

Elns roped me in on this blog hop bandwagon, which I hope a few of you will humor me and 1) read along, and 2) play along if I tag you.

It's pretty simple, just a few questions.

1. What am I working on?
Oh, so many things, and maybe nothing at all. I just started knitting again after taking, oh, maybe a 1-year hiatus. I just knit a baby hat, and now working on a little jar cozy. I need small, simple projects before I delve into anything more substantial.

I've also been playing around with film photography on a slightly more regular basis. It still takes me forever to go through a roll of film.

And I'm always working on myself. Okay, not always, but trying to follow my bliss, whatever that may be. Some days are harder than others. 
2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?
Um... It doesn't (see blog title and tagline). I try not to compare myself to others, of course easier said than done. Perhaps I need to do this, but I don't often think about what sets me apart from others. I do what feels right for me. I like simplicity in my work. It soothes me. 
3. Why do I write/create what I do?
Almost all my writing is done in various blogs. Some are public, some private. I used to journal when I was in high school, usually late at night in bed when I should have been sleeping (or partying or studying, if I had been those kinds of teen), mainly about your typical teenage angst. I suppose my urge to write never left, and if I go more than a couple days without writing I feel a little crazy, like there are too many thoughts floating around in my head with no direction. Writing acknowledges and gives voice to those thoughts and helps quiet my mind. 
I knit because it's fun, easy (usually), and rewarding. I've always been a crafter. I love to create things. And to take string and turn it into a sweater is amazing. I'm also a very fast knitter and can do it proficiently. It's something I know I'm good at. A long time ago my mom taught me how to knit in the English style, and it just didn't make sense. About ten years ago, right as Yoshi was turning one, I took a Knitting Basics class where the instructor taught me how to knit Continental and I felt everything click into place. It all made sense. That's when I fell in love with knitting. 
I take photos because as much as I blog, I still lack the vocabulary to properly express myself. Or maybe it's just that I need another medium to share a different part of me. I like the idea of crystallizing a moment that would otherwise be forgotten. Or maybe never noticed at all. 
4. How does my writing/creating process work?
Let's see... for writing/blogging, if it's a story or a long chain of events I want to record, I usually write a rough outline and shape and refine from there. If it's just a stream of consciousness post I write whatever comes to mind. It still takes forever, mind you; I'm not fast by any means (though I type fairly quickly). Words. Come. Slow. To. My. Brain. 
For knitting, I browse Ravelry, sometimes Pinterest, for eons. I like to use up whatever I have in my stash, and save buying new yarn for special projects. I already own too much stuff, so using what I have on hand is good. When I finally have a pattern and yarn picked out, I jump in. I haven't knit much this year at all though, so I feel quite out of practice. In the past, I usually will knock out a project very quickly, obsessively knitting until it's finished. 
For my personal photos, sometimes I have a running shot list of what I want to photograph. Usually though, I will focus on one subject and stick with it a while. Take a bunch of shots from various angles, apertures, focal lengths – especially when it comes to my macro work. For my product photography at work, there is a general style that I follow/create, so I start there and see what best works for the product I'm photographing: watches, jewelry, bags and wallets, sex toys, vaporizers, what have you. That's with digital.
With film, it's slower, almost meditative. While I can't say my photos come out any better, I do like putting more thought into the setup rather then going trigger happy. I think the practice is good and has translated into better digital photos as well, meaning I take fewer photos, but I get the shot I want. But god, I do love the sound of that mechanical shutter opening and closing of my old cameras. It's so satisfying, that release.

Not sure that informed any of you more than what you already know of me, but there ya go!

I tag Sabrina and Nicky to play in the bloghop. 

2 comments:

  1. It's really good to read more about why you do what you do and your process. Makes me feel like I know you a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! I loved reading about your process and how you get there -- especially with photos, since that is a completely unknown area to me. I think most of us try to work on ourselves. I am always impressed with how actively you consider this part of your life. But then again, it's another reason why I think you're pretty nifty.
    I think your post reminds me just how vital personal creativity in whatever form is to one's sanity -- even if sometimes I forget.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!