Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Little joys

Been a while (surprise, surprise) since I posted, here's the good stuff of what's been going on as of late.

1. Summer! That means it's cold and much dreamy fog.


2. Alaska! My mom took all of us on a Disney cruise. It's the superlative cruise for families. Truly something for everyone. I enjoyed the drinking. And of course the majestic views. And above all, time with the fam.


Humpback whales so close you can almost touch them! This is a mommy with her baby:



3. A Raise! Very small, but welcome increase in salary. 

4. Feminism! History in the making. Like Obama made history as the first black president (and I was so fortunate to make it to DC for inauguration day), I'm thrilled the Dems are making great strides in equality with the first woman running for president. It's about damn time. #imwithher

5. Sewing! That skirt and top I created for Coco's wedding for sure is the best ensemble I've ever made. The twirly, floor-length skirt was so fun to dance in. BUT I DIDN'T TAKE PICTURES OF MY OUTFIT. Maybe the wedding photographer snapped a pic.

6. Knitting! Something about Coco getting married re-ignited a creative spark in me. I think it must be a combination of her absolute love of bright colors and her infectious joy. She and Serious John are a wonderful pair of complementary aspects to one another. She loves chartreuse, bright turquoise, and fuchsia; he loves grey. Her energy is bouncing off the walls; he's completely grounded. And they are very cute together. It works with them. Anyway, knitting. I just bought a bunch of yarn in their favorite colors to make an awesome afghan for their [belated] wedding present, and it arrived two days ago. I have until the wintertime to finish it, because who needs a throw when it's summer (unless you live in SF!)?

7. Kid-free! I somehow found myself without Yoshi for four weeks this summer. Three weeks with my brother and his family. Yosh adores her cousins! and the dog! the beach! the suburbs! And I get to enjoy not having to parent. Balls-to-the-wall that first week for me, which meant a constant, mild hangover for 7 mornings straight. Ha. I've somehow tempered out over time. One more week without her. But I sure miss that kid and her cuddles.

8. Reading! I occasionally find time to read. Lately, limiting it to short stories since that's easier to digest in chunks. 

9. Had a friend stay over last weekend. Stayed up 'til 5am. Watched youtube videos. Introduced each other to new music. Talked about relationships and our kids. Read poetry aloud. Drank fancy whiskey. All the important stuff that binds friends. 

10. Friends. Love them. Been able to spend time with various friends... including my Brooklyn gentleman friend, who came out for Coco's wedding. 

11. Family. Love them. Been able to see a lot of them this summer. My cousin and his wife moved back from NYC, and I hung out with the wife on Thursday. She and I are already planning our next trip back to NY. Maybe in the fall!

12. Cleaning, purging. This feels amazing once all the crap is out of my apartment, but there's a sense of guilt beforehand when I look at that get-rid-of pile and think, why do I have so much stuff to begin with? Surely I can be happy with fewer material goods. But ahhhh... there's so much beautiful stuff out there. A couple weeks back I got rid of maybe 20% of my tops and pants. I still need to tackle outerwear (I love coats and jackets), shoes, and accessories (my weakness). Like seriously, get rid of those falling-apart belts that only inflict guilt (sweatshop made, possibly by children. sigh) and are of shoddy quality.

And last but not least, Lucky #13. Film. We got a fancy new scanner at work, so I started scanning in my film to share them online. 'Cuz do the photos even exist if no one else sees them? Here's one taking from my Holga, a toy camera that was handed down to me by my friend Bay a couple years back during one of my frigid-winter NYC trips. We'll close out this post with a dreamy shot is of Crystal Springs in San Mateo: 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!