Happy New Year!
Here's to more self-discovery and the pursuit of being true to one's self. Because, like they tell you during airline safety, you gotta put on your own oxygen mask before you help anyone else with theirs.
Remember* not too long ago I mentioned that I realized I'm an HSP (highly sensitive person)? Researching a little further into it, I think I've determined I'm an HSE. "E" meaning Extrovert. An extrovert?! Me? Yes. Weird.
I've always considered myself introverted because I love solitude, yet also struggled with that notion because I also knew that I enjoyed spending time with and feeing energized by people. Select people.
I cherish my time alone.
And yet.
I need social interaction.
I'm best one-on-one or in a small group, though I sometimes like a large crowd (particularly when mobilized, like in a march). But I can get tired quickly and suddenly. At parties I may French Exit the scene once I hit my limit. Or, if I have the energy to be more considerate, I'll do a general room Bye! with a waving of both hands.
While me-time is imperative to self-restoration, too much time in isolation puts me into a depression, where apathy and lack of motivation creeps in, making that inertia a tough thing to break. One of the reasons I live in San Francisco is that all I have to do is walk outside and I can re-energize through a quick social fix. It isn't difficult to interact – it practically happens whether you want it to or not. Then I can retreat again at will.
And this is where I realize that I am an extrovert. I need to be with people. In doses.
The challenge these days is to make sure I strike the right balance between solitude and socializing. It's a conscientious effort because I don't have the luxury of going into an office every weekday and talk to others. I may have become one of these annoying people who may talk to you on the bus. Or at the grocery checkout. Ugh, who am I? I need a job.
* It's okay if you don't remember. Sometimes my memory is atrocious. Do I even remember what I wore yesterday? NOPE.
Wednesday, January 08, 2020
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments!