Pages

Friday, August 27, 2004

Beyond gross

Recently there has been a problem with gnats in our house. I noticed a bunch of them flying around, first in the kitchen, then they started flying around other parts of the house. I didn't know where they were coming from. I thought they were flying up from the sink, so I ran the garbage disposal and sprayed some raid down the drain. Didn't work. Then I thought to look under the sink. Ah ha! Our compost container is down there and it hadn't been emptied in a couple weeks. Lots of those little gnats all over the decomposing food. I quickly took it to the backyard and dumped it all on our big compost pile. Problem solved, right?

Another bug problem we've been experiencing are a lot of black flies. It seems like no sooner would I kill four flies that five more would pop up. I couldn't figure this one out either. Could that many flies be coming in the house each time the front door opened?

This morning, during breakfast, I noticed that there were still a lot of gnats around the kitchen. Determined to find the root cause of the bug infestation, I looked around the room yet again. I noticed that a lot of them were hanging around one particular drawer. This drawer holds potatoes, but not just any potatoes. These potatoes had been in there for over a year. After being stored in there for so long, they had melted into some organic ooze--a nesting ground for not just gnats, but hundreds of wriggling maggots. Tom the superhero took the drawer and all its disgusting contents outside. Problem solved, except for the risidual bugs around the house, but they hopefully should die soon. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!