Ah, the holidays. Time for stress, being broke, and spending that money you don't have. Not to mention all that eating and drinking. Still, I enjoy the holidays because I get to spend time with family and friends. Friday we're yanking Yoshimi out of school to chop down a Christmas tree (which reminds me, I gotta get my hands on a saw). Nothing says xmas better than killing nature and paying big bucks for it.
I strongly believe in supporting independent businesses, crafters, artists, and designers. It is difficult for those on a tight budget to support indie artisans because they compete with overseas sweatshop production that can make a similar product for much cheaper. And I admit that I often times will buy something from the Gap or Target rather than from a local artisan simply because the price tag is too tempting and I'm cheap. Still, here are some things made by indie artists and craftsters that I would love to get my hands on:
Homespun yarn
Crocheted necklace
Strawberry pin cushion
Cool necklaces
Of course, there are tons of other things that I want that are made by big companies:
Light Blue fragrance by Dolce & Gabbana
iPod
Apple Mighty Mouse
Apple Wireless Mouse
plus some stuff on my Amazon wishlist
Additionally, there is the Gift Certifcate route for those who still don't know what to get me:
iTunes
Banana Republic
Anthropologie
Michael's Arts and Crafts
Joann's Fabric and Crafts
Trader Joes giftcard
Paper Zone
And, let's not forget about giving back to the community. Please consider donating time, money or whatever you can to charities/non-profits. Here are some of my favorites:
Habitat for Humanity (some of my best Portland friends were made at the PDX Habitat)
Locks of Love, for those of you who can part with 10" of your undyed, natural hair
Glitter Scarf Drive
Project Linus
Wednesday, November 30, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments!